A solution and client focused MARKETING COMMUNICATIONS PROFESSIONAL with a successful 25-year track record of delivering innovative projects using digital and traditional media to engage target audiences and fulfill marketing and business objectives.
- Skillful writer able to alter style and voice and to shape content to match audience and medium.
- Proficient in the use of social, digital, web and traditional media as communications platforms.
- Able to capture and synthesize client and user information needs into effective information architecture, user experience and visual design.
- Proven record of implementing technology to improve service and message delivery.
- Demonstrated communication abilities, strong research and editing skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects.
- Self-motivated with demonstrated successes in working independently and as a team member.
- Committed to excellence, quality results and a continuous learner.
Grand Bend & Area Chamber of Commerce, 2010 to Present
In this current role, I manage the overall operations of a member-supported, not-for-profit corporation for the benefit of its members and the community. Report to a volunteer Board of Directors. Here’s a few accomplishments in this role:
• Increased membership engagement through a communications strategy using digital, social and print media.
• Transformed the area’s “visitor guide” into the key source of information for tourists and residents, re-purposing content for digital and web media.
• Designed and built the tourist-facing (GrandBendTourism.com) and member-focused (GrandBendChamber.ca) websites.
e-Clicks, 2008 to 2010
Independently owned/operated digital and print marketing business geared to the needs of small business.
- Designed, wrote and produced digital and print collateral for target audiences.
- Designed and built B2C websites to meet client goals and provided web training and resources.
MANAGER – NEW MEDIA COMMUNICATIONS
York University, 2005 – 2008
Developed, managed and enhanced York University websites and e-media communications in support of student recruitment and engagement.
- Managed the development and enhancement of multiple websites to engage prospective undergraduate and graduate students.
- Researched and wrote scope and functional specifications documentation to support system development.
- Reviewed, evaluated and recommended third-party software.
- Managed development and launch of the university’s first student blog.
Allstate Insurance Company of Canada, 1999 – 2005
As a cross-functional team member, managed the development, enhancement and usability of external B2C and B2B websites, including brand messaging, content development, digital marketing and partnership development.
- Created and implemented an integrated digital and print marketing plan, securing partnerships with Mocha Sofa, Auto Trader, New Homes & Condos, Sympatico, Google and Yahoo.
- Developed the style guide to transition Allstate’s brand online.
- Researched and wrote all product content for multiple websites, including online home and auto sales funnels, MyAllstate, and contextual and user feedback messaging.
- Developed information architecture, user experience, content and visuals for web properties.
- Managed the implementation of a web-based system to facilitate agent web page self-publishing.
MARKETING PROJECT COORDINATOR
Allstate Insurance Company of Canada, 1996 – 1999
Provided digital and print marketing communications with brand consistent messages to target internal and external audiences.
- Developed print newsletters to support agent-to-customer (“Good Hands News”) relationship building and to facilitate agent-to-agent (“Advantage”) success stories and release of product information. Included interviews with internal and external subject matter experts.
- Researched, wrote and produced agents’ Manual of Achievement and associated incentive pieces (multi-level screensaver, quick reference guide).
- Conducted POS materials audit, including agent interviews and surveys to identify gaps in B2C marketing communications collateral and developed the action plan to re-mediate disparities.
Canadian Red Cross Society – Toronto Region, 1993 – 1996
Managed external communications, public and media relations activities in support of priority programs (International Relief, Community services). Managed volunteers and staff.
- Developed International Relief program communications materials (Rwanda Relief, former-Yugoslavia, China Floods) used by Red Cross branch offices across Canada.
- Created and presented media sponsorship proposal that obtained significant television support.
- Planned, created, implemented and managed communication, public and media relations activities in support of key programs (International Relief, Community services etc) for Toronto Region.
Jo-Ad Industries, 1991 – 1993
Provided marketing communications collateral support to a six-person sales team.
- Developed an electronic file management system containing all of the product information to facilitate timely and accurate sales activities.
- Honours Double-Major B.A.: Mass Communications & English. Dean’s Honour Roll.
- Post-Graduate Internet Management Certificate: Content Management, Client-side and Server-side Scripting, Graphical User Interface Design, Information Architecture, Usability Testing, Site Development, Internet Business development, Internet Technology (IIS), Hosting.
- Networking/Teleprocessing Certificate: Telecommunications Strategic Planning, Switching Systems, Network Design & Architecture.
Wexford Collegiate Institute for the Arts
- Media/Visual Arts student. Ontario Scholar. Focus: graphic design and production.
Professional Workshops, Seminars, Conferences
- Insurance Institute of Canada: Principles & Practices of Insurance, Intro to Personal Lines Insurance, Automobile Insurance Part 1.
- York University – Division of Executive Development: Marketing (marketing concepts, segmentation, product management, marketing communication, marketing research, planning strategy).
- Humber College: Certificate of Specialization in Internet Business with Honours, Certificate of Specialization in Internet Site Development with Honours.
- Red Cross: Volunteer Management Cycle.
- SkillPath Seminars: Managing Multiple Projects, Objectives and Deadlines.
- Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Publisher, Outlook)
- Adobe Creative Suite: Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, Illustrator, Acrobat
- FileZilla FTP
- Google Analytics
- Microsoft Content Management System
- QuickBooks for Not-for-Profits
- WebTrends Web Analytics
- Zen Cart
Project Management: Most recent project is the 2017 It Starts at the Beach visitor activities guide for the Greater Grand Bend Area. Working with the guide’s designer and ad sales team, I provide the overall schedule, budget, design direction and editorial focus. Link to the guide will be posted here in April 2017.
Recent Publications: 2016 Annual Report for Grand Bend & Area Chamber of Commerce (PDF)